This Course is available in the following format:
DWDM Advanced Training Course Description
In this DWDM Advanced Training course you will learn the technology, architecture, and applications of DWDM. We will review DWDM system components as well as the end-to-end optical network design process. With DWDM Advanced Training, you will also learn aspects of optical control, network management, and practical deployment issues such as optical submarine cable and access networks. This comprehensive review will provide all the knowledge and skills necessary to design and implement DWDM systems.
Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) is a key component of the world?s communications infrastructure. The tremendous growth in telecommunications services is possible today in part through optical etworks, where DWDM systems allow much greater bandwidth over existing optical systems. For anyone involved with telecommunication and information technology, understanding this technology is a critical requirement.
• If you are familiar with some aspects of this DWDM Advanced Training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
• We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the course around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
• If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Upon completing this DWDM Advanced Training course, learners will be able to meet these objectives:
• Understand the conceptual and theoretical underpinnings of this field
• Describe how the DWDM technology works
• Identify the applications of DWDM
• Explain the key components of DWDM systems
• Describe in detail the architecture of a DWDM network
• Design a DWDM system
• Describe the key considerations related to the deployment of DWDM
• Characterize the emerging and future DWDM systems
DWDM Advanced Training – Course Content:
◾Advantages and disadvantages of optical transmission
◾History of optical transmission
Wave Propagation through Fibers: Linear Regime
◾Types of fiber
◾Attenuation and dispersion
More on Wave Propagation through Fibers: Non-Linear Regimes
◾Polarization mode dispersion
◾Self-/Cross-Phase Modulation (SPM/XPM)
Passive Transmission Devices
More on Passive Transmission Devices
◾Fabry-Perot filter (FSR, Finesse)
◾Arrayed Waveguide Gratings (AWGs)
Active Transmission Devices
◾Erbium-doped and Raman fiber amplifiers
◾Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers (SOAs).
◾Transmitters: Lasers, distributed-feedback lasers, mode-locked lasers
More on Active Transmission Devices
◾Direct and external modulation
◾Detectors: Photodetectors and photodiodes
◾Optical channel capacity
◾Demodulation: Shot/thermal noise; ideal signal detection
◾Optical signal-to-noise, bit error rate
◾Intersymbol Interference (ISI)
◾Optical link budgets, margin
◾Power penalties, maximum transmit power
DWDM Network Architecture
◾Optical Add-Drop Multiplexers (OADMs)
◾Optical Cross-Connects (OXCs)
◾Lightpath Topology Design (LTD)
◾Routing & Wavelength Assignment (RWA), Graph coloring
More on DWDM Network Architecture
◾Optical protection, reliability (MTBF, MTTR).
◾Optical control and management
◾Performance management, optical overhead.
◾Optical Transport Network (OTN)
Emerging and Future DWDM Systems
◾Photonic packet switching