This Course is available in the following format:
Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training Course Description
The quantity and importance of data entrusted to web applications is growing, and defenders need to learn how to secure them. Traditional network defenses, such as firewalls, fail to secure web applications. Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training covers the OWASP Top 10 Risks and will help you better understand web application vulnerabilities, thus enabling you to properly defend your organization’s web assets.
Mitigation strategies from an infrastructure, architecture, and coding perspective will be discussed alongside real-world applications that have been proven to work. The testing aspect of vulnerabilities will also be covered so that you can ensure your application is tested for the vulnerabilities discussed in class. To maximize the benefit for a wider range of audiences, the discussions in this Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training course will be programming language agnostic. Focus will be maintained on security strategies rather than coding-level implementation.
• If you are familiar with some aspects of this Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
• We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training course around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
• If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Audience / Target Group:
The target audience for this Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training course:
• This course is intended for anyone tasked with implementing, managing, or protecting Web applications. It is particularly well suited to application security analysts, developers, application architects, pen testers, auditors who are interested in recommending proper mitigations for web security issues, and infrastructure security professionals who have an interest in better defending their web applications..
What You Will Learn:
Upon completing this Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training course, learners will be able to meet these objectives:
• How to comprehensively remediate common web application vulnerabilities.
• How to apply defensive application design and coding practices to avoid security vulnerabilities.
• The HTTP protocol and new technologies such as SPDY and Websockets that affect the protocol stack.
• How to move away from basic web application security principles of “validating more” and implement effective security controls against vulnerabilities that input validation simply does not fix.
• How to customize, implement, and maintain a baseline security standard for the web applications development lifecycle (SANS SWAT checklist), improving security and reducing exposure to common vulnerabilities such as the OWASP Top 10 Risks.
• How to leverage HTTP header-level protection to apply strong defense systems on the client side by building another layer of defense on top of secure coding on the server side.
• How to design better and stronger security architecture that includes infrastructure aspects in the design process.
• How to understand cutting-edge web technologies (such as HTML5) and their security implications, avoiding security issues when utilizing these newer technologies.
Defending Web Applications Security Essentials Training – Course Syllabus:
Web Basics and Authentication Security
• HTTP basics
• Overview of web technologies
• Web application architecture
• Recent attack trends
• Authentication vulnerabilities and defense
• Authorization vulnerabilities and defense
Proactive Defense and Operation Security
• Cross-site scripting vulnerability and defenses
• Web environment configuration security
• Intrusion detection in web application
• Incident handling
AJAX and Web Services Security
• Web services overview
• Security in parsing of XML
• XML security
• AJAX technologies overview
• AJAX attack trends and common attacks
• AJAX defense
Cutting-Edge Web Security
• DNS rebinding
• Flash security
• Java applet security
• Single-sign-on solution and security
• IPv6 impact on web security
Capture and Defend the Flag Exercise
• Mitigation of server configuration errors
• Discovering and mitigating coding problems
• Testing business logic issues and fixing problems
• Web services testing and security problem mitigation
• Reinforcement through exercises of key topics discussed throughout the course.