This Course is available in the following format:
Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training Course Description
Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training; The Aegis Weapon System (AWS) is a multifunction radar and fire control system designed for the Navy’s anti-air warfare (AAW) mission of fleet defense. The attendees of this four day course will study the AWS weapon system definition and design approach, including the weapon system functional architecture, the element designs, and performance drivers. The system conducts AAW engagements, starting with surveillance and tracking by the AN/SPY-1 radar; application of engagement doctrine by the Command and Control system; intercept calculation, weapon selection, launch, and guidance of the Standard Missile by the Weapon Control System, and terminal homing by the Fire Control System. The Aegis system has successfully demonstrated a ballistic missile defense (BMD) capability.
For this mission, the engagement sequence has been modified to include new functions such as; characterization and discrimination of tactical ballistic missile complexes in the upper atmosphere, guidance of an advanced standard missile (SM-3), and designation of an RV to the SM-3. Focus will be on engineering of the Weapon System including SM-3 and Aegis Combat System integration. Program and Project Managers, Contract Administrators, Quality Managers, and Engineers (all disciplines) can accelerate their ability to understand AWS design competences.
• We can adapt this Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
• If you are familiar with some aspects of this Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
• We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training course around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
• If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training – Skills Gained:
The Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training main focus will be on engineering of the Weapon System, including Standard Missile and Aegis Combat System integration. Attendees will develop an understanding of the Aegis BMD mission, as well as the system concept definition, design, and implementation based on a mature AWS development philosophy. Attendees will develop an understanding of how Aegis Combat System was upgraded to include the additional BMD mission while maintaining all existing Aegis operational warfare capabilities. Students will examine how the System Engineering process ensures that systems are developed to meet mission performance objectives which are affordable, operationally effective, and timely.
Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Training – Course Content:
Provides an engineering overview of Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (ABMD) design competencies:
• Understanding the ACS Mission
• Aegis Weapon System (AWS) design attributes for BMD mission
• Emphasis is made on the Aegis Weapon System architectural design to support simultaneous regional missile defense and strategic missile defense capabilities. In addition, focus will be made on the AWS design competencies, to include:
• ABMD System Functional Architecture: Including challenges for AWS elements such as; Radar, Standard Missile, Vertical Launch System, Command & Control, Weapon Control, etc.; exploited weapon system characteristics to support a Plan, Detect, Control and Engage engagement sequence approach; ABMD engagement modes: Organic exo-atmospheric & endo – atmospheric engagements, Cued, Launch – on – Remote (LOR), Engage – On Remote (EOR) engagements.
• Unique ABMD Design Attributes: Surveillance, tracking, Identification, Characterization, Discrimination, Standard Missile (SM-3) Integration, Pre- & Post Launch Fire Control, SM-3 Guidance, Engagement Coordination, In-Flight Alignment.
• System Performance Measures: Performance drivers, Target modeling, Engagement Timeline, resource utilization, engagement windows, Engineering budgets, probability of engagement success.
• Multi – Ship Coordination: Including coordination strategies to achieve total missile defense, unique requirements for multi-Platform fire control interoperability and coordination, Single ship versus integrated multi – ship engagements, multi – platform performance criteria.
John W. Parnell served as Chief Architect for Aegis Missile Defense, Naval Air Defense, and Intelligence & Instrumentation Radar System Synthesis and Analysis for Lockheed Martin at their Moorestown, NJ facility. He gained expertise in Aegis BMD Weapon System Engineering as Technical Lead on both the Navy Area Wide and the Aegis LEAP Intercept (ALI) Programs. His 35+ years- experience with Lockheed Martin includes: technical direction, system definition and design of multi-platform, multi-function weapon systems; system development of radar, missile fire control, BMC3, ECCM, & CEC. Mr. Parnell served on the MDA National Team from 2002-2007.